Saturday 11 February 2017

New books, and a new Darcy

So today marks the beginning of my last weekend off work, and I am determined to make the most of it. That being said, it is mid afternoon and I am still in bed. But in my defence I am still working on an assignment. I do want to add though that I have a cold, and I realised that I take my nose for granted. I really do not appreciate the benefits of clear nasal passages often enough and would really enjoy it if it's full function was returned to me, pretty soon.

Okay, amidst the assignment writing I have been preparing for Valentines day. Tuesday 14th marks my official return to work, after a whole month. After my shift is over, I intend to reward (yes, reward myself for going back to work) myself with a take out and Clueless, or both versions of Pride and Prejudice (1995 and 2005). Though I did read an article this week which revealed that 'Mr. Darcy looked like a shorter version of Napoleon', rather than Colin Firth. I included the comparison pictures above. I thought it was brilliant. But I'm afraid that Colin Firth will always be Darcy for me.

Anyway, my preparation includes online shopping for new books. I am treating myself to a copy of Laura Bates' Everyday Sexism. After all, what says love and happiness better than a book about sexism?! It is an amazing project that Laura Bates set up back in 2012 after being harassed on public transport in London. There is a website, and this book. It's arriving tomorrow and I'm so excited! I will post a full review as soon as I have finished.

At this point, the words that spring to mind for readers are probably 'pathetic'. If it helps, I have also ordered a brand new copy of Pride and Prejudice with a pretty pink vintage cover. I gifted this edition as a Christmas present last year, but it is gorgeous! It will match my edition of Emma. So I did try to be romantic in my choices of literature.

I also pre-ordered a new YA novel that is being released in ten days time entitled Long May She Reign. It sounds absolutely brilliant! Oh, and on Kindle I purchased Wintersong. Yet, another YA release. But it was inspired by Christina Rossetti's Goblin Market and I just couldn't resist. It sounds beautiful.

Alexandra Bracken's The Darkest Minds is not going well. I am thirty percent in and I just don't feel as though I'm enjoying it. I don't want to give up this late into the game, but I had such high hopes. This is the first Bracken novel I'm reading and I am struggling. I wonder if Passenger will be any better. I sure hope so.

Have I succeeded in making myself sound sad and alone yet?

I hope you all have a lovely weekend, and if I don't post before Tuesday (which is unlikely) I wish you all a very happy Valentines day whether you are alone or loved up! x

No comments:

Post a Comment